Chief justice seat at top court left vacant amid Assembly chaos
简介South Korea’s Supreme Court faces an unusual vacancy for the first time in 30 years as the National ...
South Korea’s Supreme Court faces an unusual vacancy for the first time in 30 years as the National Assembly motion to appoint a replacement for the retiring chief justice was delayed amid turmoil over an arrest warrant request for the main opposition party leader.
Ahn Chul-sang, the most senior of the 13 Supreme Court justices, will serve as acting chief justice starting Monday until the motion is considered and passed at the next Assembly plenary session.
In a meeting also held Monday, the Supreme Court will determine the scope of an acting chief justice's authority and decide if it is appropriate for the acting chief justice to have the same powers and duties as the head of the judiciary branch.
The motion to appoint the next Supreme Court chief justice was not voted on before the current one's retirement at the last plenary session on Sept. 21. During the same session, a motion to arrest Democratic Party of Korea leader Lee Jae-myung passed by a narrow margin, and the majority opposition party Assembly also voted to impeach Prime Minister Han Duk-soo.
The next Assembly plenary session won’t be until after the long weekend falling Sept. 28-Oct. 3 at the earliest. Even then it is unclear whether the motion to appoint the nominee -- Lee Gyun-yong, a senior judge at the Seoul High Court -- would pass, which would inevitably lead to an elongation of the vacancy period.
During the Assembly hearing, Democratic Party lawmakers called for the nominee's resignation, alleging he failed to report assets worth about 1 billion won ($750,000). Lee, reported to have a net worth of 7.2 billion won, is among the wealthiest justices nominated to lead the nation's highest court.
At the Assembly, the Democratic Party is still reeling from the passage of the motion allowing the court to decide on whether to issue an arrest warrant for its leader, who as a sitting lawmaker is protected from arrest without the majority consent of the Assembly. The party announced it was overhauling its floor leadership for failing to unite and strike the motion down.
According to prosecutors, Lee is accused of giving inside information and other favors to private developers in a city-led urban development project while he was the mayor of Seongnam, among other accusations.
The court is set to make a decision as to whether the accusations against Lee warrant arrest on Tuesday at the earliest.
The Ministry of Health and Welfare rejected a request to devise guidelines of hospitalization for tr ...
In opera, tradition often takes center stage. But director Alex Olle of La Fura dels Baus boldly res ...
윤석열 대통령이 지난 10일 서울 용산 대통령실 청사에서 열린 국무회의에서 발언하고 있다. 김현동 기자윤석열 대통령의 국정 지지율이 33%로 조사됐다고 13일 한국갤럽이 발표했다. ...
- New NZ minister takes oath in English and Korean
- South Korean oil payments for Iran frozen again over Hamas links
- S. Korea may decide to increase medical student quota as early as next week
- S. Korea has 'no urgency' to cut key lending rate soon: IMF director
- HiteJinro soju seeks bigger footing in UK
- Igis launches $100m secondary fund for overseas investment
LS Materials to tap deeper into EV, green energy markets
尹지지율 긍정 33%·부정 58%…"명절 기간 물가 등 경제난 체감"
LS Cable inks partnership for Vietnam submarine cable market
尹지지율 긍정 33%·부정 58%…"명절 기간 물가 등 경제난 체감"
Korean Air orders 20 Airbus A321neo aircraft
S Korea, UAE to hold aviation talks over potential increase in bilateral flights
- Seoul shares close higher as US inflation softens
- BNK Busan Bank to pilot English
- Prix Medicis winning Han Kang wants next novel to be like 'spring'
- National Changgeuk Company's endeavor to foster pansori composers continues
- [Today’s K
- Animal shelter busted for killing and burying hundreds of pets
- Ive, aespa, NewJeans, StayC and Kiss of Life join star
- Shanghai art scene puts on fair show while struggling to recover from pandemic
- Seoul subway to hold second strike Nov. 22
- Production teams called out for carelessness
- Seoul anticipates 3
- Transgender blind spot in hospitalization: NHRCK
- S. Korea, Japan, China agree to accelerate summit efforts
- Criminal procedures for foreigners in Korea
- S. Korea's Busan making last
- Court clears cabbie in death of passenger who jumped out of moving taxi
- BTS gets 6th top honor at 2023 MAMA Awards
- Daily Sports Hankook hopes to help stengthen Korea
- Samsung Biologics sees highest
- German envoy calls for enhanced security cooperation with S. Korea
- Korea to showcase advanced climate technologies at COP28 Dubai
- Korean Air orders 20 Airbus A321neo aircraft
- Hanwha Ocean developing submarine stealth technology
- 정부, GP 복원 계획…김태효 "北 무장에 가만히 있으면 안된다"
- S. Korea's heavyweights like ex
- Violinist Yoo Da
- YouTuber suspected of livestreaming after taking drugs
- Jeju's autonomy is model for Western Sahara: Morocco
- Seoul shares start lower ahead of key rate decision
- S. Korea's English proficiency slips 13 notches to 49th