NK sports broadcast labels S. Korea ‘puppets'
简介North Korea’s state media, including Rodong Sinmun and Korean Central Television, dropped the term “ ...
North Korea’s state media, including Rodong Sinmun and Korean Central Television, dropped the term “Nam Joseon” -- South Joseon -- when referring to South Korea in a recent sports broadcast.
Instead, North Korea’s state media used the term “goeroe,” which means “puppets” to indicate South Korea. A score graphic televised by Korean Central Television referred to South Korea as such during a women’s quarterfinal soccer match during the Hangzhou Asian Games on Sept. 30.
While North Korea has used derogatory and sharp-worded expressions to describe the South on political and military issues, the use of a derogatory term in relation to a sporting event is unusual.
Use of “Nam Joseon” to refer to the South has been abandoned in recent months, according to a report by Yonhap News.
The last time Rodong Sinmun used the term was on Sept. 13, in an article written by Ho Jong-man, chairman of the General Association of Korean Residents in Japan, titled “Our Fatherland is the Eternal Embrace of Our Lives.” Rodong Sinmun rarely covers news about South Korea, except for its recent coverage of protests against the Yoon Suk Yeol administration, in which it described the South as a “puppet region.”
Korean Central Television last described South Korea as a “puppet region” when reporting on the global spread of COVID-19. On the North’s radio service Korean Central Broadcasting Station and Korean Central Television, the term “Nam Joseon” was last used on July 15, during its coverage of the COVID-19 omicron outbreak.
Experts say Korean Central Television's "puppet" reference at the games is an indicator that the label has likely become standard, regardless of the topic.
The use of “puppets” instead of “Nam Joseon” could also be seen as an attempt to instill hostility toward South Korea among North Koreans, according to experts.
“It’s part of North Korea’s move to shift away from the previous framework that depicted the North and South relations as a special one and treated the two countries as a unified entity, into a more adversarial relationship,” said Hong Min, director of North Korean research division at Korea Institute for National Unification.
Tensions between North and South Korea have been increasingly heightened since President Yoon Suk Yeol assumed office in May 2022. The two countries have not held any official talks in over a year, and South Korea referred to the North Korean regime and its military as the “enemy” for the first time in six years in a defense white paper issued in February.
As South Korea’s new Defense Minister Shin Won-sik took office on Saturday, Shin made a pledge during his inauguration speech that he would sternly respond to North Korea’s provocations and strengthen cooperation with the United States.
“In case of North Korean provocation, I will take action immediately, strongly and until the end to shred the enemy’s will and capacity to make further threats,” said Shin.
“I will create a defense posture that overwhelms the enemy. Punishment is containment and containment is peace.”
“This is not a campsite,” reads a banner that hangs prominently -- yet seemingly powerlessly -- in a ...
김정은 북한 국무위원장이 지난 16일 블라디보스토크 인근 크네비치 공군기지에서 미그(Mig)-31에 탐재되어 있는 극초음속 미사일 '킨잘'을 만져보는 모습. AFP, 연합뉴스17일 ...
방러 중인 김정은 북한 국무위원장을 수행하는 그의 여동생 김여정 노동당 부부장이 고가의 명품 브랜드로 추정되는 가방을 들고 있는 모습이 포착됐다. 북한은 현재 지속되는 식량난으로 ...
- Labor unions slam government efforts to attract more foreign workers
- Kakao completes its first own data center
- Benois de la Danse winner Kang Mi
- Major Korean firms fare worse than US counterparts in H1
- Seoul reviews scenarios for restoring guard posts in DMZ
- [Korea Beyond Korea] ‘Korea should support Korean history studies, research abroad’
- [From the scene] Nakwon
- Choosing children over career: Fatherhood changing in modern Korea
- S. Korea issues navigation warning amid planned N.K. rocket launch
- S. Korea maintaining stable LNG supply amid Israel
- S. Korea's top diplomat holds talks with Malaysian, Indonesian counterparts at APEC
- Unique indoor dating spots to warm your winter days
- 인요한 “한동훈, 신선하고 합리적…총선 역할 결정된다면 좋은 일”
- Zepeto metaverse plans to support Apple Vision Pro
- Fire breaks out at SK On's plant during pilot run in China
- 국힘 누비는 김한길과 그의 사람들..."결 다른데" 친윤은 불편
- Pentagon chief stresses US ability to tackle 'crises in multiple theaters'
- USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier to arrive in Busan this week
- [Today’s K
- Viviz to drop 4th EP ‘Versus’ next month
- [HIT Forum] Korea's only astronaut highlights humanity's connection with universe
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains
- [Busan Is Ready] Busan Expo strives to present climate change solutions
- Sejong University ranks 8th among Korean peers in world university rankings for 3rd consecutive year
- The ruling party vows extraordinary measures to win back people's trust after crushing by
- Hanwha at forefront of Korea’s space leadership
- S. Korea keeping close tabs on reported repatriation of N.K. defectors from China: minister
- First lady meets with Korean women residing in Japan
- HD Hyundai Shipbuilding invests $47m in Estonian fuel cell for green maritime energy
- Opposition calls for Yoon's overhaul of Cabinet after by
- N. Korea's Kim, Putin exchange congratulatory messages marking 75th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains after Fed comments
- Trend forecaster Kim Ran
- The 2023 Seoul Fantastic Beer Festival
- Dawn begins mandatory military service
- PM makes official visit to Denmark to promote Expo bid