US renews concerns over N. Korea
简介The US Department of State reiterated its concerns Monday over military cooperation between North Ko ...
The US Department of State reiterated its concerns Monday over military cooperation between North Korea and Russia, as Pyongyang is gearing up for a space rocket launch to put a military spy satellite into orbit.
Pyongyang has notified Japan's Coast Guard of a plan to conduct the launch between Nov. 22 and Dec. 1, Japanese media reported, despite Seoul's warning against what would be its third such launch attempt this year.
"I will say that our concerns about North Korea's ballistic missile program and other military programs are well known, our concerns about the transfer of technology between Russia and North Korea -- whether it's Russia providing North Korea with technology or whether it's North Korea providing arms to Russia -- are also well known," Matthew Miller, the department's spokesperson, told a press briefing.
"Those transfers in some cases violate multiple UN Security Council resolutions, including resolutions that Russia itself voted for, and we will continue to monitor them closely and take whatever actions are appropriate with our allies in the region to monitor and respond to North Korea's destabilizing behavior," he added.
Miller reiterated the position when asked to comment on South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol's remarks in an interview with The Telegraph, a British daily, that China is likely to consider that pursuing cooperation with North Korea and Russia, which have violated UNSC resolutions and other international norms, will not be helpful for its reputation.
"I will just say that our position is very clear, which is that Russia should not supply North Korea with technology that would violate UNSC resolutions, (and) North Korea should not supply Russia with arms that it can use to prosecute its war of aggression against Ukraine," he said.
"That is our position with respect to any country in the world," he added.
Pyongyang's launch plan comes amid speculation that Russia might have provided military technology and support to the North in return for the North's supply of military equipment and munitions for use in the war in Ukraine.
The North initially planed to make a third launch attempt in October following two botched launches -- in August and May. But it did not press ahead with the plan last month, raising speculation that it might need more preparation time. (Yonhap)
Violinist You Da-yoon has won the second prize at the 2023 Long-Thibaud International Competition, a ...
PARIS -- Pulling an all-nighter to make gimbap and kimchi pancakes was the highlight of the year for ...
Director Alex Olle's production of “Norma,” which premiered to open the 2016 season at the Roya ...
S. Korea, Japan, China agree to accelerate summit efforts
[Our Museums] Discover wisdom of hanok at Eunpyeong History Hanok Museum
Supporters of Israel hold rally in Seoul, urge Hamas to stop atrocities
MBK chairman makes donation to promote Korean art at New York's Met
Korean Air orders 20 Airbus A321neo aircraft
Biden says Hamas must be eliminated, US officials warn war could escalate
- US renews concerns over N. Korea
- Trump vows to kill Asia trade deal being pursued by Biden if elected
- 인요한 “한동훈, 신선하고 합리적…총선 역할 결정된다면 좋은 일”
- 추미애 "尹대통령 지지율 30%대 받쳐주는 철벽통들이 있다"
- US renews concerns over N. Korea
- N. Korea notifies Japan of plan to launch satellite between Wednesday and Dec. 1: report
- S. Korean battery makers' R&D investment up 12.5% in Jan.
- 60조 역대급 세수 펑크에도…여야, 국회 운영비 364억 증액 합의
- 이낙연 "전우 시체 위에서 응원가 못 부른다"…총선 유세 거절?
- [Today’s K
- 류호정·장혜영의 ‘세번째권력’ “총선서 30석, 200만 득표가 목표”
- Korea to start hiring E
- [Hello Indonesia] Hyundai Motor vows to steer Indonesia's transition to EVs
- 김용민 “尹, 총선 승리하면 계엄 선포할 것…저지선 확보해야”
- First lady explains S. Korea's dog meat ban plan to Queen Camilla
- 홍준표, 하태경 종로 출마 선언에…"주사파 출신이 갈 곳 아니다"
- Hyundai Motor to halt Asan factory in Korea for EV factory construction
- S. Korea pushes for using commercial satellites in military communication
- Seoul shares open higher despite US losses
- YG’s new girl group Babymonster debuts with single 'Batter Up'
- '12.12: The Day’ attracts 1.8m moviegoers in five days since opening
- ‘Smugglers’ wins best picture at 44th Blue Dragon Film Awards
- Speculation grows over Yoon's looming Cabinet shakeup
- 1 in 8 commercial flights exposed to pathogens: KDCA
- Posco to start search for new chief
- 조응천 "김종인이 2명 배제하자…민주당, 총선서 제1당 됐다"
- [Bills in Focus] Windfall tax on banks and urban infra refurbishment
- Hyundai Motor chief named automotive industry leader of 2023
- 금태섭 “文 전 대통령, 조국 출마 적절한지 의견 분명히 해야”
- Trailblazer, Trax drive up GM Korea’s exports