Unification ministry urges NK to immediately send detained S. Koreans back home
简介The unification ministry on Sunday urged North Korea to immediately send a South Korean pastor and f ...
The unification ministry on Sunday urged North Korea to immediately send a South Korean pastor and five other nationals back home, condemning their yearslong detention as "illegal and inhumane."
The ministry made the appeal in a statement marking 10 years after South Korean pastor Kim Jung-wook was arrested in Pyongyang in 2013 and then sentenced to hard labor for life on charges of spying for South Korea's spy agency.
In 2014, two other South Korean missionaries, Kim Kuk-gi and Choe Chun-gil, were also detained in the North on charges of committing what the North's regime called anti-North Korea crimes. Three former North Korean defectors, who had obtained South Korean citizenship, were detained in 2016.
"The government condemns North Korea's illegal and inhumane measure and strongly calls on North Korea, a signatory to the International Covenants on Human Rights, to immediately send them back to their beloved family members," Koo Byoung-sam, spokesperson at the ministry, said in the statement.
He said the government will work closely with the religious community and civic groups to find out the whereabouts of the detainees and win their repatriation, and cooperate with the international community to help resolve the issue.
"If North Korea has any understanding about human rights, it should not avoid the basic human rights issue any longer," Koo said.
President Yoon Suk Yeol has taken a hard-line stance against the North's provocative acts and has stressed the need to make the international community aware of North Korea's human rights abuses.
Last month, the ministry set up a task force to handle South Korean detainees, abductees and prisoners of war in North Korea. (Yonhap)
South Korea is set to make its final presentation for the 2030 World Expo host city bid in Paris on ...
김정은 북한 국무위원장이 13일 러시아 보스토치니 우주기지에서 블라디미르 푸틴 대통령과 정상회담, 연회 등 일정을 진행한 뒤 다음 방문지를 향해 떠났다고 노동당 기관지 노동신문이 ...
13일 김정은 북한 국무위원장과 블라디미르 푸틴 러시아 대통령의 회담에 대해 14일 북한 매체들은 “(단독 정상회담에서)만족한 합의와 견해 일치를 봤다”고 보도했다. 김정은이 푸틴 ...
- Yoon meets disgraced ex
- Mirae Asset Securities names Kim Mi
- 윤 대통령, 4박 6일 사우디·카타르 순방 마치고 귀국
- Hyundai Motor posts highest Q3 earnings on upbeat US sales
- 김웅 "이준석 사면은 내부총질·해당행위…마녀재판 맞았던 것"
- [Life In Korea] Delivering 'taste of life' via street art
- Jeonju offers self up as destination for fall reading retreat
- 北, 日의 장거리미사일 조기 배치 추진에 “전쟁국가 일본 실체”
- LG Electronics to bolster local strategies, B2B push to widen gap with Chinese rivals
- KGC wins minister's award for IP management
- Man wins W1.4b, putting to bed legal battle surrounding wife’s death
- [Our Museums] Legacy of early Catholics at Korean Catholic Martyrs' Museum
- Hyundai, Kia report robust EV US sales, shrug off impact of IRA
- Arrest warrant issued for ex
- Quake shakes northwest Nepal, killing at least 128 and injuring dozens
- 8 in 10 favor removing mandatory camera shutter sound: survey
- Catch fleeting fall foliage with exciting outdoor activities
- 5 S. Koreans from Gaza arrived in Egypt via Rafah border: ministry
- NTOK Live+ to screen latest plays from UK, Netherlands
- [New in Korean] Millionaire dog sponsors human artist in Yun Ko
- S. Korea thanks countries near Gaza for assisting in evacuation of S. Korean family
- Bedbug reports cause jitters across S. Korea
- Woori Bank establishes Bangladesh regional headquarters
- FM makes final pitch for World Expo 2030 in France
- Hana Bank to offer W100b in support for small business owners
- Over 84% of cattle got vaccines against lumpy skin disease
- Unauthorized AI
- [From the Scene] Samsung bets big on package substrates for future chips
- More chat with parents, greater chance of studying medicine, education